7.23.2010

iLikeProjects - Diaper Cake

This blog clearly has no clear purpose
but it is too much to physically scrapbook photos and I like looking back and remembering what I did with my time. So the iLikeProjects series begins. Alice told me to start an idea journal. Such a great idea! I have too many journals to keep track of, at least I categorize things here.

I was thinking of making a video.
Maybe one day...


iLikeProjects 1 . Diaper Cake
Estimated Cost: $50 for 2 cakes  
(mostly dependent on # of diapers used)
Estimated Time: ~1 hour

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhpn_bZDXVsv3FlgCWqcQPOhgw6QiE5JsbjWK5XnzoXbB5CJN074GZNBdyyr8PElM5t6QJNVOAw12fO0SFEqYQ-MhXpEJPZBXK0-u0zPSrCuuGfeaYYMVCdG_2KqctYM0bVE9WXQLZ2bdE/s1600/IMG_0765.JPG

Super easy and fun.
A great gift and centerpiece. 
It makes me sad to see beautiful handcrafted decorations get tossed in the trash after the party is over. This is functional and nice to look at. Score!

Note on iLikeProjects: I created an Amazon Associates store for my project supplies.
If you purchase through the store I think I get a little something extra.

Amazon has a great deal on diapers right now. But I think everything else is cheaper at craft stores.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiX7VJlpoSeOGgKUf4N58MKorcbUPkPtXw_hy64-dxypR41t8zZZGSDo2Z9OQZvirH4ivqe686nhpmV1uNLa0V3Qg2D6BUO5gFAIS7mhqrLHWyOC1TxkZ83RLvcIYvWxAfJG1YuC-hIVYE/s1600/IMG_0764.JPG
Cake Ingredients for 3-tier (prices I paid):
Diapers .................... Costco ~$30 for 216
Ribbon ..................... Michaels/Costco ~$2-4/each (go for solid color, not baby stuff so you can use it for other occasions)
Adhesive/Safety Pins to secure Ribbon ....... Walmart tacky glue ~$1 (I used safety pins)
16 in. Cake Circles ............. Joanns $6.99/6pk, use a coupon at Michaels?
Decorations ............. I used diaper wipes ~$2 and artificial flowers ~$2/each
(e.g. blanket, bottle, pacifier, toys, etc.)

Other Supplies:
Scissors
Something round (can)
Plastic Bag (optional) $1 at Michaels



Step 1: Calculations
How many diapers per tier?
Ratios for 2-tier: 1:2
Ratios for 3-tier: 1:2:3
Ratios for 4-tier: 1:2:3:4
and so on...

If I have 108 diapers and I am making a 3-tier cake,
 here are my tiers
top tier: 18 diapers
middle tier: 36 diapers
bottom tier: 54 diapers

How many diapers in inner and outer layer?
I used around a 5:1 or 6:1 ratio.
So if my tier has 54 diapers in it and I use a 5:1 ratio, 
my inner layer is 9 diapers and outer layer is 45 diapers.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgD4YVYdvfBiwEFikN-4R88qnOuc9mxc0WqaXu5r3046wnALm5kY0YUV5nJ1o325Irx6hD8aLvl9nPCAEtglUWP80N9I_RP_QFmg5wK8EY52r57sH9gRS5nNNEh69IjTBXSv85L93PEbrU/s1600/IMG_0712.JPG

Step 2: Start the Swirl

Put the round object in the middle of the cake round.
I decided to have the bottom of the diaper on the outside.
Stagger stack a few diapers in your hand. 
Prop them against the round object.
Keep adding outer layer diapers to go all the way around.

Step 3: Finish Outer Layer

Loosely wrap ribbon around diaper circle.
Move diapers around to make them evenly spaced.
Remove can. 

Step 4: Insert Inner Layer

Stagger stack inner layer diapers in hand.
Wrap tightly and insert into middle space.
Tighten ribbon around both layers so it fits on the cake round.

Step 5: Use Final Ribbon

Wrap final ribbon (1 inch ribbon) around the tier. 
Secure with adhesive or safety pin.
If you use two fabric ribbons on top of each other, best to glue them together first so they don't shift. I used curling ribbon on a fatter fabric ribbon.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg1BOQPrjrN6Hql7CQL06_caR_q-RGQdGhvadTjv7BhR-kXkoaSgDBnLcZ-N-JAF4xdReQd3S3wbQ4_0UkbrXfq-9oqhkzlaStSwwtRVYA31a9t1mD1gPzoFQvILa3i01DEEpGmGYrQWPo/s1600/Jul+14,+2010_2.jpg

Step 6: Repeat with other tiers.

Step 7: Stack and Decorate 

Stack the tiers.
Stick decorations into the ribbon or on top.
Note: Do not use anything liquid or anything with scents, diapers are very absorbent.
I just stuck an artificial flower through the middle.
A cool idea is to take a baby blanket, string it through the middle of the tiers so it comes out of the top. Put a stuffed animal on top so it looks like its holding the blanket.

I think plastic makes most things look rather professional.
Wrap in a jumbo plastic blag and tie with ribbon/tulle/bow.

iLikeProjects #1 . Diaper Cake 
Complete

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEifpYsbVFr-fGYyE9LVABWxnYAIb5TmOzlYzjoYu6sgLNN2ke8isBruncxj2X8SAO48ox9gQCFkchmK2W8V6G-fM9QPEaen_8U45YhxLgu5Najakfn3ZDeiDAeclAIh1Jqki4wRG9XQASE/s1600/Jul+16,+2010.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails